Saturday, June 21, 2008

hodge podge post

I feel like I have been neglecting my blog. It is partly true. The other two parts are not being inspired to write anything and being too busy to write or making anything to write about. So in an effort to atleast put something up here, here is a rambley list.

-The kids participated in Vacation Bible School this past week. They had such a good time, and the church did an excellent job. But keeping up our normal activities such as school in addition to VBS has tired us all.

-The tadpoles are now down in population to two. Two frogs that is! We haven’t determined if they are Cuban Tree Frogs or not, but I think they are.

-I made almost 27 feet of binding for the housing project quilt, but I wasn’t that thrilled with the fabric choice. The white dots were just too small – the scale was all wrong for the look I wanted. The two Joann’s in town didn’t have anything either. So I decide to make do from my stash. But then I went with the kids to visit my mom this week, and we stopped at one of her local quilt shops. I found suitable binding material there. Yay! Anyone need any black with small white dot binding? ; )

in a bind

-I finally did a little sewing today. Spur of the moment sewing. But I’ll post about that tomorrow. Can’t use all of my fodder in one post can I?

-Tonya over at LazyGalQuilting has two posts on her blog that are worth mentioning (ok her whole blog is worth mentioning, but these two really stood out recently):

*On behalf of AQS, she is taking a poll of people who would agree to purchase a copy of Liberated Quilting by Gwen Marston if it were to be reprinted. I know I would. It is an excellent book describing Gwen’s approach to liberated quilting. I don’t own the book, but I keep checking it out of the local library. And I will definitely buy a copy!

*The second post is about quilt shows. She voiced a lot of the same thoughts I have about quilt shows. Not necessarily the hand quilting part (I’m just not a hand quilter), but the “perfectionism” part of it all. My mom is also a quilter, and we often talk about what we are making. One conversation we seem to have over and over is about the actual quilting of quilts. Like everyone else, we want our quilting to look good, but at what point will we be content with it. I don’t know if I want it to look perfect even if I could get it there. Sometimes a quilt begins to look like a mass produced bedspread with all over quilting. I guess I am ok with a quilt that looks “homemade”. With this last quilt I am working on, I decided that not only was the quilt liberated, but the quilting was liberated (if not down right wonky) too. And you know what? I love how it looks. I posted a comment on a picture of my quilt on flickr recently saying that it wont be quilt show perfect, but it will be snuggle on the couch awesome.

Ok folks! I’m off to take a spin around flickr, then back to sewing – I hope!

7 comments:

Julie said...

sarah.
I absolutely love your blog,and your style of quilting.
I love it so much that I made my daughter an eye spy quilt like the naomi one that you made. I just have one question... I was wondering how you made your name letters?? I know that Tonya has a tutorial, but I am having trouble with my letters looking like letters.. also how did you get all your letters the same size.
any help would be great. I am trying to get "liberated" more and perfectionistic less... thanks to you and Tonya's blog also I just picked up from the library 2 of gwen's books.. can't wait to mull over them.
thanks julie

Sequana said...

If you're serious about giving up that binding, get in touch with me in my mail. *S*

Sarah said...

I can't stand perfection! I'm not even all that crazy about quilts made from a matchy matchy fat quarter bundle unless something else random is thrown in.

That said, we must acknowledge the patience and skill of those who can get things so even and consistent. It takes a lot of practice and hard work.

Tonya Ricucci said...

27 feet of binding? exactly how big is this quilt? Loving how your own quilt looks is the best! That's something to strive for, not making it to suit someone else. Hurrah!

Julie, if you're reading this, get in touch with me and I'll see if I can help out with the letters. that goes for everyone actually. One thing that would help is practise. just keep making letters and you'll get better and better at it. I'll happily take any letters you're not happy.

Tine said...

That's a lot of binding!!! It will look great on your quilt.

Home ec new Haven said...

I'm willing to fight the others for binding.

Diannia said...

I don't know if you still have the binding but I do donation quilts for Binky Patrol and would put the binding to good use!