Tuesday, December 1, 2009

citrus stars

Several year ago, a good friend of mine (craftyturtle) got married. When I heard about her engagement, I picked out a quilt pattern. A pattern that takes a lot of concentration. Well, that plan didn't mix well with young children, homeschooling, my quilting abilities and life in general. (Can you tell where this is going?) I never did finish that quilt. So this year I planned to make a more reasonable quilt for her anniversary in March. (Yes, I know it's not March) I finished the blocks in spring, sewed the top together and basted it at the end of summer, and quilted and bound it last week. Just in time for her birthday.


citrus stars - detail


Craftyturtle and I have been friends since high school - over 20 years now - gasp! We were camp counselors for many summers and many weekend getaways. We have similar college degrees from rival colleges. Go Gators! And we are both teachers. (I taught in a private school for a couple of years before staying home to raise our children and homeschool) Our friendship just picks up where we left off when we are together. Which isn't often enough since she lives several states away.

craftyturtle and krommama


We also have another "tradition". We almost never manage to give presents on time, so we send random packages to each other with a little note of "this was for Christmas, Birthday etc". The package is usually to cover all the holidays since the last package. And how fun is it to get a package out of the blue? So even though this package arrived on her birthday, it is actually several years and months late. hee hee

The colors were her wedding colors. She's from Florida too. And she picked citrus colors. Aren't they fun?!

citrus stars

48" x 72"
machine pieced and quilted
hand bound

quilty love


These two hearts hidden in all the loopies represent the two of them and their marriage.

13 comments:

fisherwife said...

Good for you and for craftyturtle! You are the bomb as a friend!!!

It's always better to get a random present than one that is expected.

Tonya Ricucci said...

wheee, that's wonderful. And I like that idea of amassing gifts into something special.

byneedleandthread said...

I love this quilt. the loopy hearts are great!

Twisted Quilts said...

Love your liberated stars. That is one of my very favorite patterns.

Marit said...

Lovely quilt, lovely gift! The quilted harts are a very nice touch! I also happen to love these liberated stars. Maybe I'll try making them as big as yours?
It's so nice to hear how relaxed you are about gift giving, I think that is only possible with good friends, when both are so comfortable in your friendship.
; )

Kristin Shields said...

Oooh! I love it. Those are great colors and the two hearts are just perfect.

Browndirtcottage said...

OOOHHHH....I love you guys gift giving ritual.....so freeing without having to explain or give excuses....it's as it ought to be!!
Surprises in the mail...priceless!!
And what a FAB quilt!!

ilovebabyquilts said...

Love it! So fresh!

Vicki W said...

What a pretty quilt - I love the bright colors!

Jodi Nelson said...

It is absolutely fantastic!!! Love it.

Miri said...

Very pretty quilt-bright and cheerful!

What a nice friendship you have!

Quilter Kathy said...

What a perfect celebration quilt! And a generous gift :)

Jantine said...

Wow, treasure this friend! And I bet she loved the quilt, even when it was not given on the day or account you meant it for. It was your present for her and that is what is important!
The quilt is bright and will make here happy. Even more when she sees your hearts!