Sunday, September 27, 2009

DQS7 sent!

and received my millie quilts! In a post to her partner, Lynne (millie is the cat) asked for a quilt for her bathroom made with bright colors and lots of black and white. So I went all out. It was a pleasure to make. And Lynne assures me that she loves it.

dqs7

My inspiration for this quilt came from Gwen and Freddy's book Collaborative Quilting. I had never done a medallion quilt, used so much black and white or made a spiky border.

dqs7 - detail

I love quilts that hold my attention. There are lots of beautiful quilts out there that I'm done looking at in just a few minutes. The ones that really grab me are full of "surprises". Here is a list of surprises that I put in the quilt for Lynne:

lots of scraps
lots of black and white
checkerboard fabric
lots of dots
lots of different fabrics
selvage dots (she works with selvages alot)
a wee little kitty face to represent her Millie
a make-it-work-people lopped off shoefly
a churndash to stand in for a shoefly
fabric substitution in the spikes
fabric addition to make the spikes fit
a wonky house

dqs7 - detail

It was fun to make and I'm glad she likes it. Her enthusiasm for it gives me great joy.

dqs7 sneaky peek


On a different note, things might get quiet(er) around here. I feel that I need to make changes in my life. I have been spending too much time focused on quilting (gasp!) and farting around on the computer. I need to be focusing on my children and their education, our home and family life more. I would like to be able to balance the two, but I haven't been able to of late. So if I can't get my act together, I might have to severely limit my computer time. blah blah blah. Thanks for sticking with me folks, and thanks for all the great and encouraging comments you leave.

13 comments:

Vicki said...

It's adorable! And I totally understand about the need for balance. I hope you find it, and that you don't quit blogging all the way.

Darling Millie said...

I love, love, love my quilt. I totally understand your need for balance. We all need to, as one of my college Art professors once told me, "Change partners and dance."

hugs,
Lynne

Victoria Findlay Wolfe said...

oh I can relate! always good to look at priorities! I need to get back to working out instead of sitting my bum on this chair all day!
great freddie/gwen inspired little quilt! you hit it, spot on!

Jodi Nelson said...

Sarah the quilt is fantastic! Oh my goodness gracious!Love it. I think we've all been in your shoes at one time or another and completely understand. Just pop in once in a while and let us know how you're doing. Hugs...

Twisted Quilts said...

What a great quilt. How big is it? How big is the house in the middle? I understand your dilemma and that is one reason I didn't quilt until I retired. When you have kids they should be your priority. They will be gone all too soon.

Fran said...

That is a terrific quilt! Well done.

Mandy said...

I love this quilt! Oh my word, you give me so many good ideas. If I ever actually start making all of the designs in my head that are inspired by you I'm going to have to rename my blog House of Krom Copycat.

I understand about needing some balance. I had to go on a facebook fast earlier this year, and it did me SO much good! Now I spend too much time looking at blogs and not enough time sewing=(

Don't be too scarce! I rely on you for inspiration=)

Brenda said...

this is lovely, and fun, and wonky and inspired. good luck with finding balance, but please don't disappear off the web!

Kristin Shields said...

Wow, wow, wow! Another winner. You really are amazing.

Browndirtcottage said...

Well HECK Yeah she likes it!!! I just know she does...I have this feeling! This is my kind of quilt!!
As for your last paragraph...I agree...I think a lot are cutting back...I have noticed a big change in other bloggers habits in the last 6 or so months!

jovaliquilts said...

I love the quilt! Really great.
Good luck finding the balance you need. I run into the same problem sometimes and have to back away a bit.

Tonya Ricucci said...

I'm so slow getting caught up on blogs. fabulous fun bright happy quilt! I understand needing to prioritise, but I hope you still get to do some quilting and blogging!

Mari said...

This is just adorable !! So much to look at. Very good.