Saturday, December 20, 2008

poor neglected blog - a two part post

Part one: So sorry blog readers for such an absence. It has been a very busy month. And I'm glad to say that I have finished all my handmade birthday and christmas presents. I don't know if I will go handmade next year. Atleast not to this extent. I didn't make anything for my two kids or my husband. Part of me is ok with that because they get my handmade stuff throughout the year. The other part of me thinks it is wrong. I have a quilt planned for each child, and I think I should have been making those quilts.

done!


We've also been busy visiting this month. Visiting family and Disney theme parks.

magic kingdom, disney world


We have finished school for the rest of the year. We will pick up again the first full week in January.


Part two: Four Way Swap. Four Way Swap was a doll quilt swap between laurajay, lucyellen06, calamity kim and myself. We each contributed rules to this swap. The rules for this round were:

1. include birds
2. include neutrals
3. include recipient's color of choice
4. include liberated piecing

four way swap : done


4ws ~ from calamity kim
from Kim


4ws  ~ from laurajay
from LauraJay


4ws ~ from lucinda
from Lucinda


more pictures of the details of quilts and the goodies included on flickr.


It was a great swap. It challenged us all. We plan to talk about our plans for four way swap for next year soon. But we know that we want to continue it. Thanks for following along with our swap!

I have been asked "how do I join a swap like this?". The only answer I have is "make your own". Find two or three other quilters who you think would make a good group. Set up a few ideas, guidelines and deadlines. And have fun! I think there is at least one group that was inspired by our group. I would love to know if you start one.

And finally, Merry Christmas to you all! Thank you for reading my blog, and following me on flickr and (now) twitter. I am amazed by this network of friends that I have through the internet and throughout the world. And another thank you for the nice comments you leave for me. I enjoy every one. I hope you all have a joyful, peaceful and safe holiday filled with love and surrounded by loved ones. (I'm writing all this now because there is a good chance of me not writing another blog post before Christmas - hee)

Merry Christmas

11 comments:

LauraJ said...

Merry Christmas to you and your family! Such sweet cute little kids! I am most definatley blessed and honoured be part of the 4ws. Little old me sewing along with you sewing goddesses. I bow down to all 3 of you!

Sarah said...

stop! you are part of the group. we all have our strengths and weaknesses. and together we are a great group!

LauraJ said...

oooh i was wondering the first time i looked through this that there were no pictures of the quilts...i thought okay that's how she wants it. Now i see why you had to fix it! :D smooches!! and i'm going now....byeeeeeeeeeee

Carol E. said...

What fantastic home-made gifts you made! So thoughtful! And I love all those doll quilts. My absolute favorite is Lucinda's neighborhood with the cherry tree branch across the top. Stupendous! But they all rank right at the top of the fantastic scale. You all are sooo creative and talented! And finally about Twitter, I wish I could see it and how it works without having to sign in (is there a way?). I have a facebook page but am wondering if I like it. Twitter sounds better to me.. I just spend way too much time on fb and the fun isn't enough to make the time worthwhile.

Unknown said...

Wonderful handmade gifts. I know how you feel about making them for your kids and hubby. I have a similar situation this year as well. I will also be rethinking it for next year. Your swap quilts are truly unique and beautiful. I can't wait to see what you come up with for next year. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you all!

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Love the house quilts and the way you've photographed them. Love the Santa picture at the end...he's just how a Santa should look!

Happy Holidays

Amanda Jean said...

Merry Christmas Sarah! it is so nice to have met you through your blog and flickr. I LOVE the mini quilt swap that you did. such great quilts.

alobsiger said...

Merry, merry Christmas, Sarah! I hope you enjoy the holiday immensely! I am so inspired by what your group of four does--what a talented bunch!! This time of year is SO hard for me regarding handmade items. I can't take the pressure anymore. I make a very limited number of gifts these days. Take care, have fun, ENJOY!

Tonya Ricucci said...

You've gotten an amazing amount done for the holidays. Those swap quilts are wonderful, I love that one of Lucinda's. Merry Christmas!

Browndirtcottage said...

ok...i can say this post was well worth waiting for...i just love everything.....your kiddos with santa is a really good one!

Merry Christmas to You and Yours!

Lori said...

those quilts are amazing!!

merry christmas & happy new year! :^D)